Malda in West Bengal and Purnia in Bihar have been experiencing spate of violence. The Muslim mobs have been protesting against the recent statements by one of the Akhil Bhartiya Hindu Mahasabha activists in Uttar Pradesh, Kamlesh Tiwari; he had allegedly said that Prophet Mohammed was the first homosexual in the world. His statement came as a retaliation to the statement made by the Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan’s statement that most of the RSS members are homosexuals.
In Malda, a Muslim crowd, after attending a highly charged up protest meet, was returning and on its way, set fire to a police station as well as over a dozen of vehicles. A similar pattern of violence manifested in Purnia.
Since the rampaging crowds are Muslims and not Hindus, predictably, our media has shown a lackluster interest in covering the unrest, although many claim the oversight was due to the ongoing Pathankot Airbase terrorist siege. Except for Zee TV and random reports appearing in newspapers strategically placed so that it’s easier to ignore them, the incidents aren’t attracting much attention from the usual crowd of journalists, reporters, writers, intellectuals and artists who would have gone on their own type of rampage had the mobs been Hindu.
This write-up in no way endorses violence. I don’t mean to instigate Hindus or for that matter any other community. It is just an intellectual exercise.
Let’s see what would have happened had the crowds in Malda and Purnia been Hindu.
- The incidents would have been BREAKING NEWS in almost all “national” channels.
- By now we would have seen more than 50 debates on how majoritarian violence is increasing to alarming levels in the country.
- Images of people being chased on streets, being set on fire, begging for mercy, crying, screaming or running around wielding machetes, swords, petrol bombs and irons rods would have been splashed all over the electronic and print media. Most of these images would have been the recycle images of previous riots; wouldn’t matter if the images were taken from India or Sierra Leone.
- Hundreds of articles would have appeared discussing how the current spate of violence is the result of the 2014 elections.
- Articles in Washington Post, New York Times and Wall Street Journal would have insinuated that the Narendra Modi government silently endorses this violence and such violence politically benefits the BJP.
- Minority Commissions all over the world would have gotten themselves into a tizzy.
- People would have suddenly gotten over the Muslim mob attack on German women in Cologne and would have somehow even attributed the attack to Tiwari’s statement (by attacking women they wanted to show that they are not homosexuals).
- Our home-grown “journalists” with moral compasses and all sorts of other compasses would have started asking uncomfortable questions.
- The Congress party would have stalled the Parliament.
- Other “secular” parties running governments in different states would have come on the roads and randomly started arresting Hindu sadhus and sadhvis.
- Kejriwal would have multiple times tweeted, “Modi is mad and psychopathic”. He would have also used the opportunity to say that Modi is not allowing him to work.
- Big and small stories of how brutally people were burned alive, killed or raped (even if no such incidents had happened) would have started appearing in national and international newspapers and magazines.
- There would have been an army of “journalists” running around in the streets of Malda and Purnia recording first-person accounts of victims, of people being taken to safer areas and of how scared everybody is.
- Various human rights watch groups would have already landed in these areas both from within India as well as from other countries.
- Various Islamic terror groups would have vowed to avenge the murder of their brothers and sisters whom otherwise they themselves would like to blow up in normal days.
- Obama would have shared some Mahatma Gandhi quotable quotes with the Indian government.
- Many Muslim youths would have been moved to join the ranks of the Islamic State to kill mostly other Muslims in retaliation to what Hindus are doing to Muslims in India.
- Violent protest marches by Muslims would have taken place all over the world, burning shops and vehicles of people and assaulting infidel women, who have got nothing to do with the violence taking place thousands of kilometres away.
- Our prominent journalists, writers and intellectuals would have declared by now that the idea of India is dead and they bemoan the demise of pluralism and tolerance.
- Many would have openly declared that they’re leaving India, with no intention to actually leave.
- The RSS would have been declared the deadliest terrorist organization in the world despite carrying out the rescue work in the violence-hit areas.
- Modi would have gone on his next foreign visit.
- The world in general and the Indian media in particular would have found its new Gujarat 2002.